Friday, May 31, 2013

A Few Printing Tips

One of the most frequent questions I receive from my customers is, "what is the best way to print my order?" Well, you've come to the right place!  Here's the low-down on printing:

I sell digital files, but I also offer printing options
This might be easiest if you are a "hands off" kind of person.  If you want me design, print and ship your order to you then feel free to ask me to!  My home and work load might affect turnaround times slightly, so it's always a good idea to make sure you know what my current turnaround times are.  Just ask!  I print invitations, announcements and wall art for my customers.  For a full rundown of the prices and options for each, check here.  I only use professional printers and photo processors, so you know you will be getting great quality!

Use a local print shop.
Local print shops are great for printing my designs.  They have invested in high quality, professional equipment and you will usually end up with great results.  What is a local print shop? FedEx Office, Alphagraphics, Staples, etc.  There are probably some great locally owned print shops in your area too!

Have your design printed as photos.
This is one of the best ways to ensure rich, vivid colors on your design.  Upload your design to a local or online photo lab (Costco, Walgreens, Shutterfly, etc.) and have it printed as photos.  I like a matte finish, but it is a matter of personal preference.  Photo prints work especially well for larger wall art.

Worst case scenario, print at home.
Sure, you can print at home... but I wouldn't recommend it.  Maybe you've had better luck with home printers than I, but I tend to find them frustrating and their print quality sub-par.  If I ever luck out with a really vibrant print from home, it's usually because my printer has consumed an entire set of ink cartridges (for $70 give or take) to do so.  Not worth it.  But this can be a decent option if your design is not heavy on color, has a white background or you need something printed very quickly.

No comments: